Recipe by DrGaellon
My own recipe, distilled from several sources to be my own take. Hearty peasant food, perfect for a cold winter night. Serve with mashed potatoes or rice to soak up the gravy.
Top Review by Gourmetgardener
Delicious! Didn't have any raisins, and used a cooking apple instead of dessert ones, but this came out lovely. Fruity and spicy and very satisfying. Did it in the slow cooker. Served with rice, it made a brilliant cheap, easy meal. Will definitely be making this again. Thanks!
- 2 teaspoons oil
- 1 large onion, sliced thin
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 large head red cabbage, quartered cored and sliced
- 2 lbs kielbasa, sliced in 1-inch pieces (I use the lite variety)
- 2 cups chicken broth (you can swap 1 c apple cider or juice for 1 c of broth if you like it a little sweeter)
- 1⁄2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon powdered ginger
- 12 allspice berries
- 1⁄2 tablespoon coriander seed
- 1⁄2 cup golden raisin
- 2 tart apples, cored and cut into wedges (Jonathan or Braeburn work well)
Directions See How It's Made
- Sweat the onion and garlic in the oil with a good pinch of kosher salt. When limp but not brown, add the cabbage. Sweat another 5-7 minutes, until the cabbage begins to wilt.
- Add the remaining ingredients and mix well. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, cover and cook for 30 minutes.
- (Alternatively, just toss everything into a slow cooker and cook on high for 2-3 hours, or low for 5-6 hours.).