Recipe by David J Rust
This carb-friendly, low-calorie meal is a fallback for me when autumn rolls around and days start getting long and dark. It combines the subtle flavors of turkey with one of my favorite sausages -the kielbasa- and blends it with brussels sprouts into a fantastic hash. I recommend eating this with a whole-grain English muffin and an over-easy egg.
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon grapeseed oil
- 1⁄8 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 24 ounces sweet potatoes, finely diced (skin-on, about 1 large potato)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 2⁄3 ounces carrots, finely diced (about 2 thick carrots)
- 12 1⁄2 ounces yellow sweet onions, finely diced (about 1 medium onion)
- 2 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon dried marjoram
- 7⁄8 ounce garlic (about 2 large cloves)
- 1⁄2 tablespoon canola oil
- 13 ounces turkey Polish kielbasa or 13 ounces turkey Polish kielbasa, finely diced
- 13 ounces Brussels sprouts, finely diced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large skillet over high heat melt the butter in the grapeseed oil. When it is melted and starting to bubble, add the black pepper and sweet potato pieces and saute for about 5-10 minutes until the potatoes soften and start to brown.
- Add the olive oil, onion, carrot, marjoram, and red chili flakes. Toss to combine with the potatoes and continue over high heat until the onions turn translucent and brown around the edges. About 8 minutes into this process, add the minced garlic and cook until the onions finish browning. This whole process will take about 10-15 minutes.
- Remove, scraping all remnants from the bottom of the skillet, and set aside in a bowl.
- Add canola oil to the skillet and reduce the heat to medium. Add the kielbasa and brussels sprouts. Saute until both the meat and brussels sprouts start to brown.
- Add the potato, carrot, and onion mixture back to the skillet and fold to combine. Season with the salt. Cook for 2-3 more minutes, stirring to prevent burning and to blend flavors.
- Remove from heat and serve.