Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
My husband loved this recipe, it was easy to prepare and the flavor was wonderful.
- 1 lb kielbasa or 1 lb smoked sausage
- 1 (16 ounce) can sauerkraut, drained
- 1⁄4 cup dark brown sugar
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- Slice kielbasa thin.
- Saute onions and kielbasa in a little shortening.
- In a 2-quart casserole dish, layer 1/2 of the sauerkraut, 1/2 of the kielbasa and onions, then sprinkle with 1/2 of the brown sugar.
- Repeat with the other half of the ingredients.
- Bake, covered, in a 325 degree oven for 1 hour.
- Serve it with mashed potatoes, glazed carrots and homemade applesauce.
If you're squeemish about the sauerkraut, a Russian recipe uses half fresh cabbage and half sauerkraut.You'll be pleasantly surprised.
I love sauerkraut! If you need a quick fix for sauerkraut, this is the recipe you need to make. Easy and delish! I would not change a thing. I cooked it for 40 minutes and then turned the oven off. I used a 9x13 pan. Thanks, Dancer
Dancer, Thanks for the wonderful recipe. My DH and Mom loved it! Instead of mashed potatoes, we had pieroges (yummy!) I baked @ 325 degrees for about 40 minutes and it was perfect!!!