Recipe by kirbyandjill
This has been a family favorite. I found it in a Taste of Home book awhile ago and made a few slight changes. The apples with the kielbasa provide a very different, yet delicious taste.
Top Review by slminva
Like another reviewer, I used Granny Smith apples and omitted the caraway seeds simply because I did not have any. I wasn't sure I would like apples in my soup but I was wrong. This soup is delicious and easy peasy to make. Great for Low Carb diets!
- 3 cups coleslaw mix
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup chopped celery
- 1⁄2 teaspoon caraway seed
- 2 tablespoons margarine
- 2 (32 ounce) cartons chicken broth
- 3⁄4-1 lb smoked kielbasa or 3⁄4-1 lb Polish sausage, chopped into pieces
- 2 medium unpeeled golden delicious apples, chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large saucepan, saute the coleslaw mix, carrots, onion, celery and caraway seeds in butter for 5-8 minutes or until vegetables are crisp-tender. Stir in the remaining ingredients.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 20-30 minutes, stirring occasionally.