Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
This is also great served with cooked rice in place of the noodles, you may increase the sausage amount if desired, any dry smoked sausage will do fine for this recipe, the Parmesan is only optional I like to add it in, if you have any cold cooked leftover potatoes, cube them and throw them in too :)
- 4 tablespoons butter (I use bacon fat)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh minced garlic
- 1 bell pepper, seeded and chopped (use green or red)
- 1 -2 teaspoon dried red chili pepper flakes (optional or to taste)
- 1 -1 1⁄2 lb kielbasa (cut into about 1/2-inch slices) or 1 -1 1⁄2 lb dry Polish sausage (cut into about 1/2-inch slices)
- 6 cups chopped cabbage
- 3⁄4 cup canned chicken broth (can use water, but broth is better)
- 1 teaspoon seasoning salt (or to taste, or use white salt)
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper (or to taste)
- grated parmesan cheese (optional)
- cooked egg noodles
- In a large skillet cook the sausage slices until browned on both sides; remove to a plate.
- Heat the butter in the same skillet; add in onion, garlic, bell pepper and chili flakes, then saute over medium-low heat for about 4 minutes.
- Return the sausage back to the skillet and add in chopped cabbage and broth; cook stirring for about 20-25 minutes or until cabbage is tender.
- Season with salt and black pepper, then toss with parmesan cheese is desired.
- Serve with hot cooked noodles.
I made this for dinner on a week night. Super fast super easy, and omg it was SO good. Next time though I will use less pepper flake, it was a il too hot for my family. I loved it just as is though!
I like cabbage and sausage, so I knew I was going to like this recipe just reading it. I couldn't find Kielbasa at my grocery store (sometimes they have it, sometimes they don't) so I used little smokies sausages. I didn't have a bell pepper, so I omitted that, too. I served over whole wheat egg noodles. Very, very good. Made for 1-2-3 Hits! Tag Game.