Recipe by Pellerin
My MOST DELICIOUS casserole recipe is a combination of German, Irish, Polish, and Cajun influences. This ultimate comfort food soothes the cockles of my little multi-ethnic tummy 8-)
Top Review by Virginia V.
Great recipe. I changed it a little :) I used vegetarian keilbasa, no milk, vegetable broth instead, no eggs and kept the entire process in one very large cast iron skillet. Additional ingredients were 3 diced cloves of garlic, turmeric, and cumin giving it a little more diverse bent. Thank you Pellerin for making my rainy Sunday fun!
- 1 lb Polish sausage, sliced (Hillshire Farm's Polska Kielbasa or other smoked sausage)
- 1⁄2 cup butter, plus
- extra virgin olive oil, for pan
- 1 1⁄2 large onions, sliced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2 russet baking potatoes, peeled, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 head green cabbage, cored and thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) package onion soup mix, dry
- 1 2⁄3 cups milk or 1 2⁄3 cups half-and-half
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar (or white wine vinegar)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 cups Ritz crackers, crushed (or Keebler Club or Wheat Thins)
- 1 tablespoon caraway seed
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 325º. Butter or spray 9 x 13 casserole dish with Pam.
- In a large Dutch oven on medium/high heat, sauté sliced sausage in a bit of olive oil until browned. Remove to a bowl.
- Reduce heat to medium and add butter. Sauté onions, carrots, potatoes, bell pepper, and cabbge until lightly caramelized – about 20 minutes. Add salt, pepper and onion soup mix. Stir in milk, vinegar, and sugar. Add sausage and drippings. Bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer for 5 minutes. Remove pot from heat and let cool slightly, then gently stir in eggs.
- In a large zip-lock bag, crush crackers with caraway seeds. Into the pot of veggies and sausage, add ½ of the cracker mixture. Pour into prepared casserole dish. Dust top evenly with remaining crackers. Bake at 325º for 45 minutes, or until heated through and top is golden brown.