Prep 20 mins
Cook 55 mins
From PILCookbooks.com. Cooking with Beer. A 16 ounce jar of sauerkraut (do not drain) can be used in place of the sliced cabbage.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lb kielbasa
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄2 head cabbage, thinly sliced
- 4 -5 medium red potatoes, cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 12 ounces lager beer or 12 ounces ale
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- Slice Kielbasa in half lengthwise then sliced diagonally into 3/4-inch pieces. Heat oil until hot, in a large skillet over medium heat. Add kielbasa and cook 5 minutes, or until browned.
- Add garlic and onion; cook, stirring occasionally, 2 to 3 minutes or until translucent. Add 1/2 cup water to skillet and stir to deglaze pan; add cabbage and potatoes. Cook 10 minutes or until cabbage is wilted, stirring occasionally.
- Turn heat to medium low. Add beer; cook covered 15 minutes until potatoes are tender. Remove cover; add salt and pepper. Stir to combine. Raise heat to medium and cook 15 more minutes until beer has reduced and is slightly saucy.
Such wonderful comfort food! I love sausage of any kind, and combined with the cabbage, red potatoes, and onion....this was perfection! I normally have everything on hand for this recipe, so this will be enjoyed often. Really enjoyed this for dinner tonight.