Recipe by HDMac
This is a great crockpot soup. Got this from Taste of Home and definitely a keeper in our home. I make this up and then use my Food Saver to seal a jar or two to share with my inlaws.
Top Review by nesbitt929
I really enjoy this soup and to kick up the flavors I add a can of ro-tel tomatoes and a little cajun seasoning.that is all you need do to kick up a knotch.Thanks for posting hdmac!
- 58 ounces fat free chicken broth
- 6 ounces dry pinto beans
- 6 ounces dried split peas
- 16 ounces low-fat sausage, smoked or 16 ounces low-fat kielbasa, cut in half and then sliced
- 4 medium carrots, chopped
- 3 medium celery, stalks,chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 14 1⁄2 ounces canned diced tomatoes, undrained
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix all ingredients, except tomatoes in a 5 to 6 qt slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on low heat setting at least 6 hours or until beans are tender.
- Stir tomatoes; cover and cook on hig heat setting until heated through, about 15 minutes more.
- Yields one heaping cup per serving.