Prep 0 mins
Cook 6 hrs
This is a great crockpot soup. Got this from Taste of Home and definitely a keeper in our home. I make this up and then use my Food Saver to seal a jar or two to share with my inlaws.
- 58 ounces fat free chicken broth
- 6 ounces dry pinto beans
- 6 ounces dried split peas
- 16 ounces low-fat sausage, smoked or 16 ounces low-fat kielbasa, cut in half and then sliced
- 4 medium carrots, chopped
- 3 medium celery, stalks,chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 14 1⁄2 ounces canned diced tomatoes, undrained
- Mix all ingredients, except tomatoes in a 5 to 6 qt slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on low heat setting at least 6 hours or until beans are tender.
- Stir tomatoes; cover and cook on hig heat setting until heated through, about 15 minutes more.
- Yields one heaping cup per serving.
I really enjoy this soup and to kick up the flavors I add a can of ro-tel tomatoes and a little cajun seasoning.that is all you need do to kick up a knotch.Thanks for posting hdmac!
We thought this soup lacked flavor and had too much broth.Only taste we noticed was the thyme. It may be one of those that tastes better the next day. We'll see.