Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
i found this on all recipes.com. It was submittted by Geneva. I tweeked it a bit and everyone loves it. It's also an excellent dish to take to a potluck dinner. Some reviewers stated it was "soupy". I just keep baking it until it get's thick. Sometimes I have to bake it 2 hours. It really does get thick. The last few times I made it I made it with 1 cup of milk. It seemed to get thicker quicker. I am going to change the amount of milk. One reviewer noted that the spices were too much. My family does not like all the garlic either. They said that there is enough in the kielbasa. I don't use it when making this recipe to please them not me. I sometimes top this bake with Frenches French Fried Onions (Cheddar Cheese or Original)
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can condensed cream of mushroom soup or 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cheddar cheese soup, I use the cheddar cheese soup
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic (My family doesn't care for the garlic and I don't use it.)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 lb kielbasa, sliced thin
- 6 -8 large russet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix together soup, onion, milk, garlic, salt and pepper.
- Stir, in potatoes and kielbasa.
- Spoon into a 7x11 inch casserole dish.
- (if the potatoes are extra large, I use a 9x11 in casserole dish.) Place casserole on a baking sheet and bake in the preheated oven for 90 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
This was amazingly good!! But I made quite a few changes. I was in a hurry and so used 2 14.5 oz cans of potatoes. I mixed cheddar cheese soup, 1/2 cup of milk, 1/2 cup of cheddar cheese and used a teaspoon of powdered onion and 1/4 teaspoon of garlic powder. I kept the salt and pepper and sausage the same. Then I baked this in a two quart dish for 35 minutes at 400. It was delicious. Doesn't make as many servings but my husband and I loved it. Hope this helps. Resolves the 'soupy' issue. Thank you so much.
Yum, great taste! This is my kinda comfort food. Per other reviews I used less milk but it was still fairly soupy, so I topped it with shredded cheese and breadcrumbs to soak up some liquid. I think it would be helpful to know an exact weighed amount of potatoes to match the amount of liquid added. I used cream of celery soup. Thanks Jane!
This recipe got the highest compliment in my household. My 5-yr old grandson said it was the best dinner I've ever cooked. All of my family really liked this. It was easy to put together. I too, used the cheddar cheese soup. For our tastes, I think I will reduce the amount of milk or increase the potatoes to make it a little thicker. This is definately a keeper in my house. Thanks Jane