Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is a hearty soup that my family enjoys with warm bread.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 carrots (diced)
- 1 stalk celery (diced)
- 1⁄4 cup parsley (minced)
- 14 1⁄2 ounces diced tomatoes
- 3 -4 cups beef broth
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 lb kielbasa (sliced 1/4-inch)
- 1 onion (diced)
- 1 garlic clove (minced)
- 1 1⁄4 cups dried lentils
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- Heat oil in 4 quart saucepan over moderate heat.
- Brown meat for 5 minutes, remove and drain on paper towels.
- Remove all but 1 tablespoons of fat from pan.
- Saute carrots, onion, celery, garlic and parsley in same pan until onion and celery is tender.
- Add lentils, tomatoes, bay leaf, stock, water and meat; bring to a simmer.
- Reduce heat to low, partially cover and cook for 40 minutes or until lentils are tender.
- Season with salt and pepper; discard bay leaf.
- Serve with crusty bread and butter.
This was good, but we thought it could have been a little thicker. Added a 1/2 can of tomato to the leftovers and we liked it better. Will definitely make this again adding a whole can of tomato paste. Made for My 3 Chefs, Fall 2009.