Recipe by sandale99
This is a recipe passed down from my husband's mom. I have no idea where she got it from, but I am glad I got it from her. It is a quick and easy stew. If you like cabbage and kielbasa, you will like this. What a great winter dish.. enjoy!
Top Review by chef313633
Wow this was great.I am getting ready to make it a second time and realized I forgot to rate this.I made this with turkey kielbasa and used chicken broth.Added spices such as adobo pepper.Also I used all purpose potatoes with the peel on,to keep all the vitamins.It worked out just fine.Thanks for such a great recipe.
- 1 lb kielbasa
- 1 large head of cabbage
- 1 large onion
- 3 -4 russet potatoes (peeled)
- garlic (to taste)
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- vinegar (to add on as wanted per serving)
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut the cabbage in about 8 slices and then in chunks. Place this in a pot with enough water to cover. Add onion that has been cut into chunks. Cover and bring to a boil.
- When the cabbage is almost done, add sliced raw potatoes (about 1/2" thick) and sliced Kielbasa.(sliced thin(about 1/4") if you want meat in every bite, or thick if you want to bite into chunks (about 3/4").
- Also add your spices. There should be just enough water to barely cover the stew.
- Cover and cook at a simmer till potatoes are done.(about 15 minutes).
- I serve this in a soup bowl, and add a bit of vinegar to your liking, just before eating. If you don't care for vinegar, adding a bit of chicken stock and less water while cooking will flavor this dish also.
- It is a real warm you up meal on a cold winter day. I keep this meal simple. I serve with it with biscuits and butter, or a loaf of garlic bread.