Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
A hearty soup for those cold days. Use either Polish Kielbasa or Smoked Sausage. Kielbasa gives a sweet taste to the soup while Smoked sausage gives a great background for the beans. It's delish either way.
- 2 stalks celery
- 1 large sweet onion
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1 lb Polish kielbasa or 1 lb smoked sausage
- 4 (16 ounce) cans butter beans
- 16 ounces water
- Course chop onion and celery and saute in cook ing pot for 3 to 5 minutes in the butter. Add salt and pepper to taste and add paprika.
- Slice kielbasa into 3/4 inch pieces and add to pot.
- Add 3 cans of butter beans with canning liquid to pot. Open last can and puree in blender. Add puréed beans to pot. Add water.
- Bring pot to low boil, cover and reduce heat to simmer. Simmer for minimum 30 minutes to several hours (the longer the better).
My DH just LOVED this soup! T make it a little richer, I did add one can of chicken broth instead of 1/2 of the water and since I had only one can of butter beans, I used that and subbed other white beans instead. My kielbasa was a well-seasoned one, so the soup turned out very flavorful. The next day my DH ate all the left-overs himself. Thanks Mark for posting this hearty soup.