Prep 45 mins
Cook 40 mins
This recipe is great for helping your children get some of the 5 a day veg required-to add to the fun,you can be brave and let them help making them,this does seem to encourage them to eat some,and is a great holiday rainy day fun time to introduce children to cooking, These "burgers freeze well (I use a well washed empty ice cream tub) and can be re-cooked from frozen.
- 1 kg potato, peeled
- 200 g of grated cheddar cheese
- 800 g frozen mixed vegetables (or fresh if you prefer)
- 1 Spanish onion
- 250 g golden breadcrumbs
- salt and pepper
- Boil and mash the potatoes,allow to cool whilst you just bring the vegetables to the boil,(the crunch makes them tasty)then drain the veg and sat aside to cool a little.
- Mix the cheese and onion into the potato,and add the veg.
- At this point,you can ask the children to help by dividing the mixture into 2 or three bowls,and mix all the ingredients together thoroughly with your HANDS (kids LOVE THIS)!
- Now-for the mixture into thin burger shapes,empty the breadcrumbs into a bowl and coat each side of each burger (it should make 10 good size burgers- 2 per person) with the breadcrumbs.
- Lay in a non stick baking tray or on a sheet of baking paper in the grill pan.
- Drizzle over a little oil to help brown and crisp if desired (it does help-but only a small amount is required).
- Bake in a preheated oven on gas mark 6 for 20 minutes a side.