This is SO quick and so easy! Macaroni and cheese meets tuna fish, sautéed onions, chopped canned tomatoes...and PRESTO...you have a kid-friendly and mom-friendly dish! (:
- Begin by boiling water for mac and cheese.
- While that boils, sauté onions in butter.
- Once onions are cooked to medium/well, add can of tuna (which has been drained).
- Cook for a minute or two, stirring.
- Add canned chopped tomatoes, stir and let simmer on a very low setting for about 5 minutes while you finish mac and cheese. Do not overcook as you'll lose the moisture and you don't want that to happen. Cover pan if you like.
- Prepare mac and cheese according to box directions.
- Place completed macaroni & cheese along with tuna mixture into a bowl, add salt and pepper (if desired) and combine.
- Serve with veggies and sliced bread and butter.
- YUM! Makes a great lunch.
Great lunch! I used whole grain macaroni and tomatoes with garlic flavor. It complimented the tuna nicely! Next time I might add spinach for more nutrition and flavor. Thanks for sharing!
As a teenager, I used to eat Kraft mac & cheese with a can of tuna mixed in, so I knew I would really like this recipe. I made this for myself and hubby's lunch today. It was a huge hit! The only change I made was to use a can of diced tomatoes and green chilis instead of just diced tomatoes. Wow, what flavor! This was so easy to make, the taste was great and it was nice and creamy too. Thanks for posting.
Nice,quick recipe.I used a box of Annie's organic parmesean and cheese mac and didn't add tomatoes until the end b/c DS doesn't care for them...so I added fresh chopped cherry tomatoes to my portion (also a sprinkle of cajun/creole seasoning for my personal taste). Nice lunch! Thanks. Went to Market tag 2007