Recipe by Kate S.
Such a simple vegetable side. My kids love it. Guests ask how to make it. There's nothing to it.
- 1⁄2-1 head cabbage, sliced paper-thin
- 1 carrot, very fine julienne or grated (optional)
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 -2 tablespoon sugar
- 2 -3 tablespoons white vinegar
Directions See How It's Made
- 1. Before you begin preparing other dishes for your meanl, sprinkle the salt and sugar over the shredded cabbage and grated carrot, and toss thoroughly.
- 2. Allow veggies to sit at room temperature for 1/2 hour or up to several hours while you do your meal preparations. The salt and sugar will draw juices and flavor out of the cabbage.
- 3. Right before serving, drain the juices off the cabbage if you wish (I usually don't, but it makes the salad less drippy) and toss with the vinegar.