Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
I came up with this recipe when the boys were little and had hollow legs. It was a struggle to feed 3 growing boys on a very low budget and feel like they were getting a great meal. I redicovered this recipe and for all of us, the memories of those days came flooding back. Feel free to adjust seasonings to your own tastes.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef
- 1⁄2 onion, finely chopped
- 1 (6 ounce) can sliced mushrooms
- 1 (10 1/4 ounce) can tomato soup
- 1 (10 1/4 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 (16 ounce) package egg noodles, cooked
- 1 teaspoon thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon basil leaves
- 1 cup milk
- 6 ounces Velveeta cheese, cubed
- salt & pepper
- red pepper flakes (optional)
- In skillet, brown ground beef, onions and garlic. Drain well.
- While ground beef is cooking, in large pot cook and drain the egg noodles. Return pasta to pot and stir in mushrooms (do not drain), thyme, basil, milk, cream of mushroom soup, tomato soup, drain ground beef mixture.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Spray 10x15-inch casserole pan with non-stick cooking spray and place one half of the ground beef pasta mixture in casserole. Sprinkle one half of the Velveeta cheese cubes over the top. Place remaining ground beef pasta mixture over cheese, and top with remaining cheese.
- Cover with foil and bake for 45 minutes.
- *Note - personal tastes rule on this casserole - omit mushrooms or add extra if desired. Can add green peppers, olives, chopped broccoli, etc. as desired.
This was an incredibly easy and tasty dish! Thank you for sharing! LA :-)
My family and I didn't care for this at all. It just tasted like bland + basil to me. None of my kids would eat it, and I only did to avoid the waste. My husband thought it was okay. I won't be making it again.
I made this tonight for supper and my family loved it!! I used fresh mushrooms and just cooked them in the microwave for a few minutes. Will definately make this again. Thanks!!