Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
This was on an episode of Rachael Ray and I'm posting for safe keeping. It sounds like something that my adventurous and my picky eater would enjoy. It looks like a lot of steps, but it's really simple and the chicken salad can be made ahead.
- Place 1 chicken breast in a small sauté or saucepan in enough water to cover by an inch.
- Bring to boil, then reduce and barely simmer, partially covered, 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let sit in water 10 minutes.
- When cool enough to handle, cut into chunks and pulse in processor until finely chopped. This should yield about 1/2 cup.
- In a medium-size bowl, combine chicken with diced apple, 1/4 cup mayo, lemon juice and salt and pepper to taste. (This is basic version; can add any desired seasonings.) Stir until thoroughly combined.
- To make 1 roll: trim crusts from 1 slice sandwich bread (need spongy supermarket-style bread here; not artisanal-style with big or coarse crumb).
- Using a rolling pan, “roll” slice out a bit, just to flatten and soften.
- Lightly spread with about 1/2 teaspoon mayo, then thin layer of chicken salad (about 2 tablespoons).
- Top with single layer of julienned carrots (thin shavings using julienne peeler) and cucumber.
- Starting at one short end, roll up like a sushi roll.
- Repeat with 3 more slices of bread to make 4 rolls total.
- Chill for 10 minutes; then cut crosswise into smaller rolls.