Recipe by SilentCricket
Looking for something to eat during the "big game?!" Here's an idea...and it doesn't have to be just for kids! Feel free to let your imagination go to vary the filling! Prep time includes chilling or freezing time...You probably would want to make these the day before serving. (also makes 1 loaf French bread)
Top Review by Mirj
This was the hit of my daughter's slumber party last week. The kids had a terrific time putting it all together at the beginning of the evening, and we baked the sandwiches after only 1 hour of fridge time. We don't mix meat and cheese for religious reasons, so we just used more meat and lots of pizza sauce. The olives were a great touch.
- 1⁄2 lb ground beef
- 1⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 1 (8 ounce) canof your favorite pizza sauce
- 2 tablespoons chopped ripe olives (optional)
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 3 French rolls or 1 loaf French bread
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown beef and onion in skillet; drain.
- Add pizza sauce, olives, basil, and oregano to beef mixture.
- Stir till thoroughly mixed.
- Cut a thin slice from the top of rolls or loaf.
- Hollow out bottom of rolls to within 1/2" inch of the edges.
- Sprinkle 3 TBSP cheese on the bottom of each roll; or sprinkle half of cheese on loaf.
- Spoon meat mixture into rolls on top of cheese.
- Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Replace rolls tops.
- Wrap individually in foil.
- Refrigerate 3-24 hours or freeze.
- To serve: Place foil wrapped sandwiches on baking sheet and bake at 375 for 40 min if refrigerated and 60-75 minutes if frozen.