Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
I work at a kids day camp and am constantly in search of basic recipes that give kids plenty to do in a limited amount of time. This is a generic recipe that isn't a brain teaser, but I thought i'd post it because as simple as it sounds, sometimes it's hard to come up with recipes designed for kids. I like the recipe because it doesn't involve much knifework and is great for my 6-9 yr old kitchen program.
- 1 head lettuce
- 2 -3 celery ribs, sliced
- 1 (8 ounce) package parmesan cheese, grated
- 2 lemons, quartered
- 1 (8 ounce) box croutons
- caesar salad dressing
- Split kids into groups of 2 and give them each one of the following jobs that they can do simultaneously. (Make sure the kids who need to use knives go 1 at a time and help them out).
- job 1 - wash, dry, and shred lettuce with hands. put into a large bowl.
- job 2 - grate parmesan cheese. put into a bowl.
- job 3 - wash and slice celery sticks. put into a bowl.
- job 4 - wash and quarter the lemons.
- Once everything is prepared, hand a bag out to each child. Let them put their own lettuce and celery in their bag.
- Put a small tablespoon of caesar dressing in each of their bags.
- Allow each child to put their desired amount of parmesan in their bags.
- The fun part -- get each child to SHAKE THAT BAG! (maybe to music?).
- Once they are done shaking their bags, get them to place bag contents into a bowl. Squeeze lemon on to the salad and top off with some crutons!