1 hr 15 mins
Posted in response to a recipe request.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb beef kidney
- 3 tablespoons plain flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper
- 1 small onion
- 2 tablespoons lard or 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 tablespoons butter (not spread or tub product) or 2 tablespoons margarine (not spread or tub product)
- 1 1/2 cups beef stock
- 3/4 cup mushroom
- 1 -2 tablespoon sherry wine (optional)
- 1/2 cup green peas, barely cooked (for garnish)
- 1Skin, core, and cut the kidney into half-inch slices.
- 2Season the flour with the salt and a generous pinch of pepper in a plastic bag and toss the kidney in it until well coated.
- 3Skin and chop the onion.
- 4Heat the dripping in a saute pan and fry the kidney quickly on both sides.
- 5Add the onion, reduce the heat, cover, and saute gently for 20 minutes.
- 6Meanwhile, melt the butter or margarine in another saucepan.
- 7Stir in the remaining flour and cook until golden brown color.
- 8Gradually add the stock and stir until boiling.
- 9Reduce the heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- 10Drain the kidney and onion from the fat, add them to the sauce, half cover the pan and simmer for about 45 minutes.
- 11Clean and slice the mushrooms and add them to the pan with the optional sherry.
- 12Simmer for a further 15 minutes.
- 13Serve hot, garnished with green peas.
Browse Our Top Beef Organ Meats Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Beef Organ Meats Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Kidneys in Italian Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (289 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 277.1
- Calories from Fat 144
- Total Fat 16.0 g
- Saturated Fat 7.2 g
- Cholesterol 487.4 mg
- Sodium 542.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 9.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.4 g
- Sugars 2.0 g
- Protein 22.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
salt and pepper