Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
Posted in response to a recipe request.
Make and share this Kidneys in Italian Sauce recipe from Food.com.
- 1 lb beef kidney
- 3 tablespoons plain flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt and pepper
- 1 small onion
- 2 tablespoons lard or 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 tablespoons butter (not spread or tub product) or 2 tablespoons margarine (not spread or tub product)
- 1 1⁄2 cups beef stock
- 3⁄4 cup mushroom
- 1 -2 tablespoon sherry wine (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup green peas, barely cooked (for garnish)
- Skin, core, and cut the kidney into half-inch slices.
- Season the flour with the salt and a generous pinch of pepper in a plastic bag and toss the kidney in it until well coated.
- Skin and chop the onion.
- Heat the dripping in a saute pan and fry the kidney quickly on both sides.
- Add the onion, reduce the heat, cover, and saute gently for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, melt the butter or margarine in another saucepan.
- Stir in the remaining flour and cook until golden brown color.
- Gradually add the stock and stir until boiling.
- Reduce the heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Drain the kidney and onion from the fat, add them to the sauce, half cover the pan and simmer for about 45 minutes.
- Clean and slice the mushrooms and add them to the pan with the optional sherry.
- Simmer for a further 15 minutes.
- Serve hot, garnished with green peas.
We only used 400g kidney & added bacon to bulk up. We cut down the simmer time to 15mins. Was delish.