Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
A very nutritious vegie meal with a great combination of spices.
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 medium garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, chopped
- 1 medium carrot, sliced thin
- 1 medium green bell pepper, cut in 1 inch squares
- 2 cups sweet potatoes, cut in 1 inch cubes
- 2 cups cremini mushrooms, sliced medium thick
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon vegetable broth
- 15 ounces kidney beans, drained
- salt and black pepper
- Prepare first 6 ingredients by chopping and slicing.
- Heat 1 TBS broth in a medium to large soup or braising pot. Sauté onion in broth over medium heat for 4-5 minutes, stirring frequently, until translucent.
- Add garlic, ginger, carrot, pepper, sweet potatoes, and mushrooms.
- Continue to sauté for another 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add spices and mix thoroughly.
- Mix tomato paste and broth together and add to pot.
- Cover and simmer on low for about 30 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Add beans, salt, pepper, and continue to cook for another 5 minutes on medium heat uncovered, or until vegetables are tender.