i don't like beans but i like these. they are VERY filling, don't make them huge. cook time does not include chill time. these hold together well enough that they would probably be fine on the bbq
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 cups canned red kidney beans (or however much is in a big can, rinsed and drained)
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup low-fat cheddar cheese (shredded)
- 2/3 cup fine dry white bread crumbs (or however much makes the texture behave)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon powdered chipotle pepper
- salt, to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon dill
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 white onion (minced)
- 4 mushrooms (chopped)
- 1i made twice the amount of onions and mushrooms and used the other half to top the burgers. sauté them in a little oil with a sprinkle of salt and garlic powder till they're soft.
- 2in the mean time mash the beans and mix with the egg, cheese, and spices.
- 3let the mushroom mix cool a little so it doesn't immediately cook your egg then stir into the bean mix.
- 4add bread crumbs a bit at a time until you have a nice solid mixture you can shape easily.
- 5shape into 8 patties (not 6 big ones, trust me), and chill in the freezer for 15 min.
- 6fry in a little oil on med-low heat until nice and brown. i topped mine with swiss cheese, cooked mushrooms, fresh spinach, and aioli on a ciabatta bun. yum! i think the texture might be better with mashed red lentils, we'll have to try that. i think any kind of bean would work fine for this (except maybe garbanzos since they have more of a fish texture when mashed). i have the rest of these still in my freezer as cheep, healthy, easy standby food.
Browse Our Top Beans Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Kidney Bean Veggie Burgers
Serving Size: 1 (73 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 96.7
- Calories from Fat 14
- Total Fat 1.5 g
- Saturated Fat 0.4 g
- Cholesterol 27.1 mg
- Sodium 260.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 15.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.6 g
- Sugars 1.1 g
- Protein 5.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
powdered chipotle pepper