Recipe by So Cal Gal
A delicious soup for chilly days--or even not so chilly ones. And it's healthy too! (Moderately adapted from a recipe on allrecipes.com.) Note: The sodium-free and low-sodium items in this recipe can be replaced with their higher sodium counterparts--just add less additional salt.
Top Review by mwoodxmn
Prepared as directed __ easy and quick __ chili powder provides a nice bit of heat on a cold day __ great served with a crusty french baquette for dipping & soaking up the liquid
- 14.79 ml olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 9.85 ml sodium-free chili powder
- 4.92 ml ground cumin
- 946.36 ml low-sodium low-fat chicken broth
- 2 (850.48 g) can low-sodium kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 236.59 ml frozen whole kernel corn
- 1.23 ml fresh ground black pepper
- 411.06 g can low-sodium stewed tomatoes
- salt, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat a large pot over medium heat, and warm olive oil.
- Add chopped yellow onion, minced garlic, and chopped carrots; then cook, stirring as necessary, until tender (about 5 minutes).
- Add chili powder and ground cumin; and cook, stirring constantly, for 60 seconds.
- Add chicken broth, 1 can of kidney beans, frozen whole kernel corn, and freshly ground black pepper; and bring to a boil.
- While soup is heating, place stewed tomatoes and second can of kidney beans in a blender or food processor and puree until smooth; then add to soup.
- Add salt to taste.
- Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for about 15 minutes.
- Let cool a bit before serving.