Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is a very tasty combination, that I came across by chance in an old "Reader's Digest", suitable especially for Vegetarians, I adapted it a little and actually have never used the cheese on top!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, finely sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 125 g seedless raisins
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 pinch dried oregano
- salt and pepper
- 400 g canned whole tomatoes
- 400 g cooked kidney beans
- 275 g cooked rice
- 300 g cooked broccoli
- 50 g parmesan cheese
- Heat oil in large pan, add onion, carrots and garlic and fry for 5 minutes, stirring once in a while.
- Add pepper, raisins and seasonings stir and fry for 2 minutes.
- Chop the tomatoes and stir in with their juice and 5 tablespoons of water, bring to the boil, lower the heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add rice and kidney beans and continue simmering and stirring for 5 minutes.
- Add the broccoli and simmer for 10 minutes, mixing so it doesn't burn. You might need to add a bit more water.
- Transfer to a suitable dish and grill for 5-6 minutes with parmesan cheese on top. (I never did this step and didn't feel the need for cheese).
While this was a very colorful recipe and full of veggies, which is always a good thing, I probably wouldn't try it again. It sort of seemed like a mish-mash of veggies with no central theme. I think someone should edit and review all recipes before they're published. It would have been helpful, for instance, if the author had not used the metric system when listing the ingredient amounts, since this is a US-based website. Also, it would have been good if she'd indicated at #1 of the directions that you need to get the rice cooking, and the broccoli, first, so that someone in a hurry doesn't discover that when they're midway through making the rest of it.