Recipe by hoda
This meal is popular in Iraq. It is very tasty, very simple and eaten mostly on weekends--for breakfast or lunch with fried eggs and green onions on the side. A very important note is that this recipe is made with RED kidney beans only which is mandatory. You can eat it with your fingers or with a fork; it is really up to you.
Top Review by UmmBinat
This is good and filling and went well with the green onions I cut in large pieces and put on top. I did add a bit of sea salt to the kidney beans after cooking. Since we are gluten free we couldn't have the bread in this but I know it would be good. We had ours with rice crackers which was kind of messy, especially for DD (toddler) but she liked it. I used 4 eggs, canola oil to be corn free, plus the fresh lemon which was nice with this. I'd make this again for people who can enjoy bread. Made for PAC (Pick A Chef) Spring 2011.
- 1 cup red kidney beans, soaked over-night
- 2 pieces round flat bread (Iranian bread)
- 2 -4 eggs (i prefer 2 eggs or person)
- 1⁄2 cup corn oil (or any oil you use)
- 1 lemon
- green onion, to serve on the side (or white onions, cut in wedges)
Directions See How It's Made
- Boil the beans on medium heat until tender, about 1 hour.
- Tear the bread into medium-sized pieces.
- Put the bread pieces in the pot with the beans on fire in order to get moistened by the liquid of the beans. Let it sit for about one minute and then remove the bread pieces and beans with flat ladle in the serving plate (preferably a shallow bowl).
- Put corn oil in a frying pan on a medium-high heat until it becomes very hot.
- Fry the eggs in this hot oil (you will notice that the eggs will become somewhat bubbly because of the high heat of the oil, which is the right thing to be); season with salt.
- Pour the entire contents of the pan over the soaked pieces of bread and kidney beans.
- Serve tashrib immediately with green onions or wedges of white onions and lemon wedges to squeeze over the tashrib if you like.
- The best drink that goes well with this recipe is cold yogurt.