All the spices make this a special dish with delicious flavors! From Bal Arneson - The Spice Goddess on the cooking channel. The stew can be eaten alone or with rice and it tastes perfectly spiced both ways. The fresh roasted coriander and the addition of oranges makes this a surprisingly light stew compared to the heavier texture and feel of traditional Indian Rajma/Chhole dishes.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons grapeseed oil (or olive oil)
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh ginger
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh garlic
- 2 tablespoons cumin seeds
- 1 tablespoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon fenugreek seeds
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons tamarind pulp (Can be found at specialty Asian and Indian markets or sometimes in your local grocery store)
- 1 (14 ounce) can crushed tomatoes (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 2 cups diced sweet potatoes
- 1 cup water
- 1 (14 ounce) can kidney beans, drained (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 2 small seedless oranges, peeled and cubed
- 1Place the oil in a Dutch oven or large pot over medium-high heat.
- 2Add the ginger and garlic and cook for 2 minutes. Add the bay leaves, cumin seeds, garam masala, fenugreek seeds, oregano, rosemary, and turmeric, and cook, stirring for about 2 minutes. Add the tamarind pulp, tomatoes, sweet potatoes, and water and bring to a boil.
- 3Reduce the heat and simmer until the potatoes are tender, about 15 minutes.
- 4Add the kidney beans and oranges and cook for 2 minutes to heat through. Turn the heat off, cover with a lid and let sit for 10 minutes. Remove the bay leaves and serve.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Kidney Bean Stew With Sweet Potatoes and Oranges
Serving Size: 1 (409 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 290.5
- Calories from Fat 78
- Total Fat 8.6 g
- Saturated Fat 0.9 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 1052.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 47.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 11.5 g
- Sugars 11.3 g
- Protein 9.5 g