Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 0 mins
Cook 20 mins
From www.whfoods.com. I never thought of pureeing kidney beans for soup! The first time I prepared this I used freshly cooked kidney beans.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium white onion, chopped
- 1 medium carrot, peeld and chopped in 1/2 inch pieces
- 2 stalks celery, plus leaves sliced into 1/2 inch pieces
- 3 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1⁄2 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 pinch ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon red chili powder, to taste (depending on how hot the chili powder is)
- 1⁄2 tablespoon dried Mexican oregano
- 1 (15 ounce) canorganic red kidney beans, drained
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 1⁄2 cup plain yogurt
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro, chopped
- green onion, slices
- minced jalapeno
- diced white onion
- lime wedge
- First prepare lime yogurt by combining the yogurt, lime juice, and cilantro in separate small bowl. Mix well and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in medium soup pot. Sauté onion in olive oil over medium heat for about 5 minutes, stirring frequently, until translucent. Add garlic, carrots, celery, and continue to sauté for another minute.
- Add broth, tomato paste, kidney beans, and spices. Bring to a boil. Once it comes to a boil, reduce heat to medium low and simmer uncovered for another 15-20 minutes, or until vegetables are tender.
- Blend soup using an immersion blender. Season with salt and pepper to taste and adjusting other seasonings if necessary.
- Ladle soup into serving bowls. Top each serving with a spoonful of lime yogurt and any of the garnishes of your choice.