Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Easy and inexpensive and great on a cool day. I sometimes crumble cooked bacon on top as well as the sour cream. My husband loves this soup.
- 1 lb dry red kidney beans
- 4 quarts water
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄2 cup canola oil
- 3 cups chopped onions
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 cups milk
- 2 tablespoons wine vinegar
- sour cream (to garnish)
- Wash beans thoroughly and soak overnight in cold water in soup pan.
- Next day, add salt, pepper and bay leaf and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 2 hours.
- Add water if necessary.
- Remove bay leaf and puree beans in blender.
- Return to pot and keep warm Heat oil in skillet, add onions and garlic and saute over low heat until onions are tender.
- Add to soup pot.
- Stir in milk and vinegar and heat to serving temperature.
- Garnish with sour cream.