Recipe by BecR
A great make-ahead salad of kidney beans, cucumber, tomato and fresh mint in a tangy lemon-olive oil dressing. Great for picnics, potlucks, barbecues and summertime entertaining. From my mother.
Top Review by mianbao
This is a nice salad, and it seems to improve with a little time. (Today is the second day and I like it better than yesterday.)I can't really put my finger on why I prefer similar chickpea salads to this one, because I like kidney beans, too. I think it's just a matter of personal preference. Thank you for sharing your recipe with us.
- 1 (15 1/4 ounce) can red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1⁄4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 tablespoons green onions, minced (or scallions)
- 2 teaspoons mint, minced (fresh or dried)
- 1 cup fresh tomato, chopped
- 1 cup peeled cucumber, diced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil (or vegetable oil)
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Place beans, parsley, onions, mint, tomato and cucumber into a medium-sized bowl. Mix remaining ingredients and pour over bean mixture; toss well. Cover and refrigerate several hours or overnight.
- Cook time does not include chill time.
- Makes about 4 cups.