Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
A unique take on the traditional risotto; however, this one uses brown rice along with veggies and kidney beans. Have not tried it yet, but it sounds good.
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 3⁄4 cup brown rice
- 2 1⁄2 cups vegetable stock
- salt and pepper
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 celery ribs, sliced
- 8 ounces cremini mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1 (15 ounce) can red kidney beans
- 3 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped (plus extra to garnish)
- 3⁄8 cup cashews
- Heat half the oil in a large, heavy-bottom pan. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until softened. Add half the garlic and cook, stirring frequently, for 2 minutes; then add the rice and stir for 1 minute, or until the grains are thoroughly coated with the oil.
- Add the stock and a pinch of the salt and bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Reduce the heat, cover, and let simmer for 35-40 minutes, or until all of the liquid has been absorbed.
- Meanwhile, heat the remaining oil in a heavy-bottom skillet. Add the red bell pepper and celery and cook, stirring frequently, for 5 minutes. Add the sliced mushrooms and the remaining garlic and cook, stirring frequently, for 4-5 minutes.
- Stir the rice into the skillet. Add the beans, parsley and cashews. Season with salt and pepper and cook, stirring constantly, until hot. Transfer to a warmed serving dish, sprinkle with extra parsley and serve at once.
I really really liked this recipe! I added some seasonings that I like and didn't have the celery at the time, but I'm sure the celery would have just made it better!