1/1 Photo of Kidney Bean Kiev
This is a vegetarian recipe but modeled on chicken kiev - a savory bean patty oozing with a delicious garlic butter filling.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
Kidney Bean Cakes
- 3 cups red kidney beans, boiled (or may use canned)
- 3 cups white breadcrumbs, fresh
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 leek, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 2 tablespoons parsley, chopped
- 2 green chilies
- 1/2 onion, finely chopped (or green pepper)
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 egg, beaten
- oil, sufficient to shallow fry
- 1For the garlic-herb filling, blend all the ingredients for it and chill until ready for use.
- 2Melt butter and saute leek and celery.
- 3Mash the beans until fairly smooth.
- 4Stir in half of the breadcrumbs till well incorporated.
- 5Add the bean mixture to the leek and celery, add parsley, green chillies, onion, cayenne, salt and pepper and combine well.
- 6Divide the bean mixture into 4 balls.
- 7Make a slight depression and insert a slice of garlic-herb filling into the patty; and then mold the mixture so that the filling is completely enclosed.
- 8Coat the patties in the beaten egg and roll generously in the remaining breadcrumbs.
- 9In a heated skiller, shallow fry the patties for 8-10 minutes until they are golden brown.
- 10Variation: Instead of a garlic butter filling, you may opt to use a chunk of mozzarella, for a more cheesy variation.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Kidney Bean Kiev
Serving Size: 1 (293 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 592.1
- Calories from Fat 313
- Total Fat 34.8 g
- Saturated Fat 20.8 g
- Cholesterol 130.3 mg
- Sodium 488.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 55.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 12.0 g
- Sugars 4.8 g
- Protein 17.3 g