Prep 25 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is a very mild vegetarian chili. The recipe has evolved over time as our tastes changed into this latest version which is in keeping with our Nutritarian eating style. You can reduce prep time by using frozen onions, peppers and mushrooms. You can serve it plain or over whole grain rice or whole wheat pasta.
- 2 (15 ounce) cans low-sodium kidney beans
- 1 (28 ounce) can plum tomatoes (I like Hunts)
- 3 teaspoons chili powder (or to taste)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 green peppers, chopped
- 6 mushrooms, cut in half and sliced
- Put all ingredients in a large covered skillet or pot (at least 5 quarts). Bring to a boil, stirring frequently to prevent sticking or burning on the bottom.
- Reduce heat and simmer 30 to 40 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are soft and the chili has thickened.