1/2 Photos of Kidney Bean Chili, Indian Style (Rajma in Masala)
1 hr 40 mins
1 hr 20 mins
This is one of the signature dishes of North India, and is spicy, aromatic, flavourful, and simply out of this world! For the authentic feel, try to stick to the original recipe ingredients as much as possible, but you may also use suitable substitutes as mentioned. This is from "Vegetable Delights" by Malini Bisen. Note: Prep. time does not include pre-soaking time for the beans.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 1/2 cups uncooked kidney beans
- 1 medium onion, peeled,quartered and
- 2 medium onions, peeled,finely chopped
- 1/2 inch ginger, peeled,chopped
- 1 tablespoon coriander seed
- 1 green chili pepper
- 4 red chili peppers
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1/4 inch turmeric or 1/8 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 10 black peppercorns or 10 black pepper, to taste
- 2 cinnamon sticks or 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons ghee or 2 tablespoons clarified butter
- 1 teaspoon dried mango powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3 cups water
- 1Wash the kidney beans well and soak in water overnight.
- 2Next morning, steam them until tender; or cook in a large pot of water for about an hour or until tender.
- 3Remove 1/2 cup of cooked beans, crush coarsely and keep aside.
- 4Grind 1 onion, ginger, coriander seeds, chili peppers, cumin, turmeric, peppercorns, and cinnamon to a very fine paste.
- 5Heat ghee in a large saucepan over medium-high heat.
- 6Add the chopped onions and saute until golden brown.
- 7Add the ground paste and saute, sprinkling water occasionally, until the ghee starts separating from the paste.
- 8Add the cooked beans (not the crushed beans), stir for a while and add salt and dried mango powder.
- 9Pour 3 cups of water and add the crushed beans.
- 10Mix well and bring to a boil, twice.
- 11Serve hot over steamed rice, chappatis, or whole-wheat tortillas.
Browse Our Top Curries Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Curries Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Kidney Bean Chili, Indian Style (Rajma in Masala)
Serving Size: 1 (195 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 99.6
- Calories from Fat 28
- Total Fat 3.1 g
- Saturated Fat 1.6 g
- Cholesterol 6.5 mg
- Sodium 659.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 14.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.7 g
- Sugars 3.7 g
- Protein 4.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: