Prep 10 mins
Cook 50 mins
Use fresh sage for maximum flavor. Another recipe from the AHA.
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1⁄2 cup pearl barley
- 2 (15 ounce) cans kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 3 medium celery ribs, diced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
- 1 tablespoon fresh sage (1 teaspoon dried)
- In a large pot, boil the broth.
- Stir in the barley.
- Reduce heat and cover. Simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the remaining ingredients except the fresh sage (if using dry sage add)
- Simmer, covered, for 20 minutes, or until vegetables are tender. Stir occasionally.
- Stir in fresh sage, simmer for 5 minutes.
SO healthy and nutritious, Did I mention delicious, Added chilli flakes and mixed herbs which included sage too, Also mashed so hubby wouldn't notice red onions in true!
Very nice, hearty, and healthy stew. I ended up adding an additional 2 cups broth, as the barley really absorbed it. The seasonings were just right for my taste. Made a great fall lunch. Thanks for the post.
i would say that it tastes pretty bland and boring. to quote the hubby "sure, its healthy but it still has to taste good" the 14 month old baby chomped it down we ate it with cheese to get it down