Recipe by Parrot Head Mama
Easy, nutritious, keeps for a long time (in a sealed container), easily "tweaked" to fit your personal tastes. A REAL kid-pleaser. Great for bringing snack on your child's turn at preschool/daycare. Although it may be wise to omit the ingredients containing peanuts (when considering a choice for nuts and regarding the peanut butter chips) as the allergy to peanuts is increasingly common and potentially life-threatening. Also great for a cooking activity with small children...wash their hands and let them throw handfulls of the ingredients together.
- 1 cup Cheerios toasted oat cereal (honey nut, plain and apple cinnamon work equally as well)
- 1 cup goldfish crackers or 1 cup other cheese crackers
- 1 cup cherry-flavored dried cranberries (or other favorite dried fruit)
- 1 cup cashews or 1 cup other favorite nuts (although be aware of children's potential allergy to peanuts)
- 1 cup miniature M&M's chocolate candies (or other chocolate candy)
- 1 cup peanut butter chips or 1 cup butterscotch chips
- 1 cup miniature pretzel twists or 1 cup pretzel stick
- Throw everything together in a sealed container.
- Store in cool, dry area (to prevent melting of chocolate candies/chips and other soft ingredients).