1/1 Photo of Kid Safe Whoopie Pies
I could not find a kid safe (no raw eggs in filling) whoopie pie recipe anywhere until this one! Whenever we visit any Amish markets, I love buying whoopie pies, but was always worried about our 4 kids having them because of the raw egg whites. This filling is just as delicious and contains no eggs :) If you have never had or heard of whoopie pies, they are big soft chocolate cookies with creamy filling. I know...not a pie at all! These are great and kid friendly!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup hot water
- 1/2 cup baking cocoa
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 2In a small bowl or measuring cup, combine hot water and cocoa and mix well.
- 3Cool for 5 to 10 minutes.
- 4In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar.
- 5Add cocoa mixture, eggs and vanilla and mix well.
- 6Combine dry ingredients and add alternately to creamed mixture with buttermilk.
- 7Mix until well combined.
- 8Drop by rounded tablespoonfuls onto a greased cookie sheet about 2 inches apart.
- 9Flatten slightly with the back of a spoon.
- 10Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until just firm to touch.
- 11Remove to racks to cool.
- 12Filling: In a saucepan, combine flour and salt.
- 13Gradually whisk in milk until smooth.
- 14Stir constantly over medium-high heat until thick, about 5 minutes.
- 15Remove from heat and pour or spoon into a bowl, cover and refrigerate until completely chilled.
- 16In a medium bowl, cream shortening, sugar and vanilla.
- 17Add chilled mixture and beat for 5 to 7 minutes until fluffy.
- 18Spread filling on half of the cookies and top with remaining cookies.
- 19Individually wrap with plastic wrap and store in refrigerator.
Browse Our Top Drop Cookies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Kid Safe Whoopie Pies
Serving Size: 1 (1620 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 242.9
- Calories from Fat 105
- Total Fat 11.7 g
- Saturated Fat 3.1 g
- Cholesterol 18.5 mg
- Sodium 112.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 32.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.0 g
- Sugars 20.2 g
- Protein 2.7 g