Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
My kids love granola sprinkled over their yogurt, but they are still young enough that nuts are a choking hazard for them. This recipe is a modification of my more "adult" one (variation at bottom) to make it safe for them to eat. The taste reminds me a bit of a Nature Valley brand maple/brown sugar granola bar. Number of servings is a guess as it depends on whether you use the granola for yogurt or as a cereal with milk poured over or just as a snack. A great OAMC recipe too!
- 5 cups old fashioned oats
- 1 1⁄2 cups crisp rice cereal
- 1⁄2 cup wheat germ or 1⁄2 cup ground flax seeds
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup maple syrup
- 1⁄4 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine oats, cereal, and wheat germ or flaxseed in large bowl.
- Heat brown sugar, maple syrup, honey, oil, and salt in saucepan just until sauce melts together.
- Remove from heat, add vanilla, stir, and add to oat mixture.
- Thoroughly fold sauce into the cereal. This takes a bit of patience and the cereal mixture will appear a bit dry.
- Spread onto greased jelly roll pan.
- Bake approximately 20 minutes, taking out to stir (so the edges don't burn) every 6 or 7 minutes, until it is toasted to your liking. I like it nice and crunchy so I let mine go about 24 minutes or so normally.
- Cool, stirring every 5 minutes or so to ensure that it doesn't clump together too much - it will not harden in "clusters," rather it ends up a little looser like cereal, which is great for sprinkling over yogurt.
- Store in airtight container.
- *VARIATION for adults: Replace crisp rice cereal with 2 cups nuts of choice - almonds, walnuts, pecans, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, etc. or combination. Follow remainder of recipe as directed.
I liked that there were no nuts in this; it made a nice light breakfast when eaten as cereal. Will have to try sprinkled on yogurt with some fruit mixed in. The flax seed is a nice touch; couldn't really taste it, but the nutritional value is great! Made for 2012 Spring PAC.