Prep 5 mins
Cook 5 mins
Be sure to let this cool before serving. This is gobbled up by my 2 yr old. I'd recommend this for kids at least 18 months or older.
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup rolled oats (Quick Cooking)
- 1 pinch salt
- 1⁄4 cup applesauce
- cinnamon (to taste)
- brown sugar (optional)
- In a heavy saucepan, add water, milk, oats and salt.
- Bring to a boil then reduce heat to a simmer.
- Add applesauce and cinnamon and stir to blend.
- Cook over low heat about 5 minutes or until oatmeal begins to thicken, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat and sprinkle with brown sugar if desired.
- Allow oatmeal to cool before serving.
We only had no sugar added strawberry applesauce so we used that, omitted the cinnamon, and added a bit of pure maple syrup. We loved it- it was super yummy and a nice change. It reminded me of strawberries and cream without all the chemicals and processed junk!
Well, this ol' kid needed a bit more to chew on, so I added 1/4 cup of plumped dark raisins, along with the 2 tablespoons of brown sugar! I also used chunky applesauce, & as we get closer to the winter holidays I wouldn't mind adding a cranberry-&-applesauce combo! Makes for A GREAT-TASTING BREAKFAST! [Tagged, made & reviewed in My-3-Chefs]