Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
As a kid, I loved my Grandma's meatloaf but quickly learned that not all meatloaf is created the same - others were dry, musty smelling, or had large pieces of things I didn't like (onions or peppers for instance). I started with my Grandma's recipe and tweaked it with my kids giving reviews. I learned that musty smell was from too much sage so be careful with that. The real secrets here though are the shape and size - cake shaped rather than loaf shaped allows the center to cook without overcooking or drying the outer area; and, mincing the onions so they are not so visible after cooking (a good trick for all recipes when dealing with kids). Feel free to add your own spicing touches - so long as you keep the shape and the ketchup glaze this recipe is guaranteed to stay moist and never need a sauce!
- Preheat oven to 350 Set aside 2/3 cup of the ketchup Place remaining ingredients in large mixing bowl, adding the milk last, and mix/knead with hands until mixture appears uniform.
- Do NOT use a loafpan or shape into bread loaf.
- Place meatloaf in an ungreased 9 x 9in.
- square cake pan and shape into 8 x 8in.
- square (you should have 1in. between meat and pan on all sides).
- Spread remaining 2/3 cup ketchup over top of meatloaf.
- Bake UNCOVERED for 65-75 mins.
I was looking for something different to feed the kids. I figured meatballs would go over better than meatloaf so made meatballs decreasing the milk by 1/2 cup and used worchesterchire in place of the A-1. I served them with green beans , wild rice and a little ketchup on the side and they loved them. Thanks :)
This was super delicious, very moist and flavorful yet still very kid friendly. My two little ones, 1 and 3, even approved and they are extremely picky. Even my meatloaf "connoisseur" husband liked this one. Will be making it again. Thanks!
I don't have kiddos yet, but I do have one picky DH - and he DID love this recipe! I left out the steak sauce, but otherwise followed exactly. This was so yummy! We had ours with instant mashed potatoes for a quick, yummy, and filling dinner. Thanks for a keeper!