Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
5-Ingredient Fix Contest Entry. Your friends and family will think you a genius when you dazzle them with these spicy homemade tots. You need not tell them how easy they were to make.
- canola oil, for frying
- 2 cups Simply Potatoes® Shredded Hash Browns
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄4 cup minced jalapenos or 1⁄4 cup pickled jalapeno chili
- 2 teaspoons salt, divided
- Fill a heavy saucepan with canola oil to about 2 inches deep and place over medium high heat. Using a candy thermometer, heat oil until it reaches 325 degrees.
- Place shredded hash browns in food processor (working in batches if necessary) and pulse until pieces are broken down into smaller bits. 8 - 10 pulses.
- Place chopped hash browns in a bowl and add cornstarch, peppers, and 1 tsp salt. Mix to combine.
- Shape mixture into tots or small balls about 3/4" in diameter.
- Working in batches, fry tots in canola oil until golden brown, about 2 - 3 minutes each batch. Remove tots with a slotted spoon to a paper-towel lined plate or sheet pan. Sprinkle with remaining 1 tsp salt. Serve immediately.