Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 45 mins
This is a collaboration of the best Italian Wedding Soups I've tried with a little Kick to boot.
- 1 lb meatballs, mix (ground beef, pork, veal)
- 8 (14 1/2 ounce) cans low sodium chicken broth
- 1 large onion
- 6 carrots
- 5 celery ribs (cut to 1/3-inch)
- 1 bulb of garlic (diced)
- 1⁄2 tablespoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 (8 ounce) bag fresh spinach (washed and cut up)
- 4 ounces of cooked al dente pastina (cook 5 minutes)
- 1 ounce chopped fresh parsley
- 1⁄2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 cup parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 egg
- Mix 1lb mixture of ground beef, veal and pork with cheese, bread crumbs, garlic, onion powder, mustard, parsley, white pepper and egg. Use creative judgment on mixture). Make meatballs real small.
- Put broth in large pan. Add vegetables except spinach, garlic and red pepper flakes. Bring to a nice simmer.
- In the meantime make little meatballs and boil Pastina till ¾ done; set Pastina aside.
- When meatballs are done, add to pot and let simmer for an hour . Then add spinach and Pastina. Simmer for another half hour or so.
- There you have it Ladies and Gentlemen, one Fine Kicking Italian Wedding Soup courtesy of ODB.
- Serve with a fresh garden salad and a loaf of French bread -- Enjoy!