1/4 Photos of Kickin' Cottage Pie
This is a traditional English cottage pie just like my Mum makes. And my Mum likes everything with a bit of a kick. I often find other versions of this bland, but this is just right. Cottage pie is specifically made with ground beef. If it's made with lamb then it becomes shepherds pie and if it's made with anything else it's often called shepherdess pie. Exact quantities aren't required. It's easy to adjust the proportions depending on the size of the dish you're using or the meat/potato ratio prefered.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 lb ground beef
- 4 medium potatoes (The meat portion should be about three quarters of the depth of the dish. The potato makes up the re)
- 1/2 cooking onion
- 2 medium carrots
- frozen peas
- 1 beef stock cube
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 2 spring onions (scallion)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- ground black pepper
- brown sauce (or A1 steak sauce which is similar, but is stronger and sharper)
- 1Peel the potatoes and put them on to boil.
- 2Slice the carrots and spring onion.
- 3Fry the beef and the onions in a little oil. Add the salt, pepper and sauce to taste. (I use a lot of pepper and sauce because I like a strong kick).
- 4When the beef is brown add the stock cube and some water (not too much, just enough to keep the meat moist while it's in the oven).
- 5Mix the meat with the carrots and peas, then spread evenly in an ovenproof dish about 4 inches deep, filling to about 3/4 of the depth.
- 6Drain the potatoes and mash them with butter and mix in chopped spring onion.
- 7Spread this over the top of the meat. The pie should now be level with the top of the dish.
- 8Make pretty patterns with a fork.
- 9Put it in the oven on a medium heat until the top is brown (about 30 minutes usually).
Browse Our Top Potato Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Kickin' Cottage Pie
Serving Size: 1 (354 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 364.2
- Calories from Fat 136
- Total Fat 15.1 g
- Saturated Fat 5.7 g
- Cholesterol 46.2 mg
- Sodium 246.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 42.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.9 g
- Sugars 3.9 g
- Protein 15.5 g