Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
This is a wonderful chili, from Chef Emeril Legasse. The recipe for his famous seasoning,**Southwast Essense is listed below the ingredients for the chili. It's a great seasoning for just about anything. Just put all of the spices into a small bowl, mix and keep in an airtight container or bag. It makes about half cup. I usually at least triple the recipe for the Essence.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 lbs ground beef
- 4 cups chopped yellow onions
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 4 (12 ounce) bottles dark beer
- 2 (28 ounce) cans whole tomatoes, crushed
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon dark brown sugar
- 1 ounce unsweetened chocolate
- 6 cups cooked red kidney beans (I use canned)
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese, for garnish
- 1 cup finely chopped green onion, for garnish
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves, for garnish
Emerils Southwest Seasoning (use 2 tsp for this recipe)
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- Heat the oil in a large heavy pot over high heat. Add the beef and brown well, about 10 minutes. Add the onions, chili powder, cumin, Southwest Essence, cayenne, cinnamon, crushed red pepper, and bay leaf and cook, stirring often, until the onions soften, about 8 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the beer and cook until the foam subsides, about 1 minute. Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, salt, brown sugar, and chocolate to the pot. Stir well and bring to a boil.
- Reduce to a simmer and cook until slightly thickened, about 1 hour, stirring occasionally to prevent the chili from sticking to the bottom of the pot.
- Skim off as much fat as possible. Add the beans, return to a simmer, cover, and cook until thickened, about 1 hour longer.
- Serve with the cheese, green onions, and cilantro alongside as garnish.