Hey Jude's Note:
This is a great meal-in-a-pot that is quick and easy to put together. Get the chicken going, then turn your attention to the soup and, before you know it, dinner's ready! I found this in the Chicago Trib.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 large boneless chicken breasts
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 jalapeno chile, minced (if you want the soup hotter, include the seeds)
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 3 cups corn kernels (fresh or frozen)
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can black beans
- 1 lime, juice of
- 1 teaspoon salt, to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon ground red pepper or 1/2 teaspoon hot sauce
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup minced cilantro
- shredded monterey jack cheese
- tortilla chips
- 1Heat broiler; cook chicken, turning once, about 10 minutes.
- 2Or, grill the chicken on an outdoor grill, which is what I usually do.
- 3Meanwhile, heat oil in a stockpot over medium heat; add onion, garlic and chili; cook until soft, about 3 minutes; add broth, corn, beans (undrained), lime juice, salt and red and black pepper to taste; heat to a boil, reduce heat to simmer.
- 4Slice or shred cooked chicken; add to pot.
- 5Add cilantro; heat through, about 1 minute.
- 6Ladle into soup bowls; top each with shredded cheese and crumbled tortilla chips, if desired.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Kickin' chicken soup
Serving Size: 1 (375 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 244.9
- Calories from Fat 89
- Total Fat 9.9 g
- Saturated Fat 1.9 g
- Cholesterol 23.2 mg
- Sodium 353.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 26.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.3 g
- Sugars 1.1 g
- Protein 15.6 g