Prep 25 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is a great meal-in-a-pot that is quick and easy to put together. Get the chicken going, then turn your attention to the soup and, before you know it, dinner's ready! I found this in the Chicago Trib.
- 2 large boneless chicken breasts
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 jalapeno chile, minced (if you want the soup hotter, include the seeds)
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 3 cups corn kernels (fresh or frozen)
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can black beans
- 1 lime, juice of
- 1 teaspoon salt, to taste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground red pepper or 1⁄2 teaspoon hot sauce
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup minced cilantro
- shredded monterey jack cheese
- tortilla chips
- Heat broiler; cook chicken, turning once, about 10 minutes.
- Or, grill the chicken on an outdoor grill, which is what I usually do.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a stockpot over medium heat; add onion, garlic and chili; cook until soft, about 3 minutes; add broth, corn, beans (undrained), lime juice, salt and red and black pepper to taste; heat to a boil, reduce heat to simmer.
- Slice or shred cooked chicken; add to pot.
- Add cilantro; heat through, about 1 minute.
- Ladle into soup bowls; top each with shredded cheese and crumbled tortilla chips, if desired.
A nice spicy soup-but next time I will add some chopped fresh tomato and reduce the salt and cilantro a bit. Thanks for sharing - we will enjoy this again!