Recipe by Vicki in CT
Rigatoni with a Kick!
Top Review by Rita~
Kicking! YES! I used 2 pounds of sausage, 1 large onion, 10 ounces mushrooms. To that I added 4 pounds sauce kicking it up with garlic, parsley, oregano and pepper flakes. Then I removed 2 cups of the sauce after simmering for 15 minutes, for pizza the next day and used the rest for this recipe. I stirred in undercooked pasta because it will continue to cook in the oven. I did use all the mozzarella in the toss of pasta and sauce then added an additional cup for the topping. DH said Ohhh Yeah>>>>>> That being said thanks for the 5 star meal!
- 16 ounces rigatoni pasta, cooked as directed
- 1 lb Italian sausage, casings removed
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 6 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 28 ounces crushed tomatoes
- 1 (12 ounce) can Ro-Tel tomatoes, extra hot preferred
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese, grated
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Cook sausage, onions, and mushrooms until meat is browned. Drain off fat.
- Add both tomatoes to meat mixture. Bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes uncovered. Stir in cooked pasta.
- Stir in 1/2 of mozzarella cheese and all of parmesan. Toss well.
- Pour into 9 X 13" pan. Top with remaining cheese. Bake for 20 minutes.