Prep 30 mins
Cook 7 mins
This recipe came from the food network. It's a great diversion from the typical tuna sandwich.
- 12 ounces boneless skinless fresh tuna, poached
- 1⁄3 cup minced red onion
- 3 hard-boiled eggs, peeled and chopped
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons capers, drained
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup homemade mayonnaise, plus
- extra homemade mayonnaise, for spreading on sandwiches
- 6 -12 slices sourdough bread or 6 -12 slices other white bread
- 6 slices ripe tomatoes, lightly salted (1/4-inch)
- 6 slices muenster cheese (1-ounce each)
- 2 avocados, thinly sliced
- crispy potato chips, for garnish
- dill pickle spear, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Crumble the poached tuna into a meduim mixing bowl.
- Add the onions, eggs, garlic, and capers.
- Mix throughly.
- Season the mixture with salt and pepper.
- Stir in enough mayonnaise to moisten the salad, about 1/2 cup or according to preference.
- Spread 1 to 2 tablespoons of mayonnaise over 6 slices of bread.
- Top each slice with a generous 1/3 cup of the tuna mixture.
- Tope each tuna salad with a tomato slice and a slice of cheese.
- Place cheese side up on a baking sheet and bake for 3 to 4 minutes or just until the cheese is melted.
- Top each sandwich with 3 to 4 lightly salted avocado slices and serve open-faced or top whith the remaining pieces of bread.
- Cut sandwiches in half diagonally and serve with crispy potato chips and dill pickle spears.