Prep 35 mins
Cook 25 mins
A great twist on a great salad. Thank you for trying it. ENJOY!
- 4 large ripe tomatoes
- 8 slices round mozzarella cheese, about 1/4 inch thick
- 16 fresh basil leaves
- fresh cracked black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cut the top off the tomatoes and spoon out the innards.
- Sprinkle each tomato with salt and turn upside down on a wire rack.
- Let sit for 20 to 25 minutes to get rid of a lot of the juices.
- Place two basil leaves at the bottom of each tomato then one slice of cheese, sprinkle with pepper and repeat.
- Place tomatoes in a square baking dish and bake for about 20-25 minutes or until the cheese has melted to the point you would like it.
- Serving Sugestions: Garlic bread, lasagna, beef stew, pepper steak.
This is a great appetizer. But I would omit the salt next time. I don't care if it's too liquid. It was too salty that way. We're not used to add salt because of DH's high blood pressure. I used yellow tomatoes from my garden. I used fresh mozzarella. Thanks MizEmerilLagasse :) Made for Newest Zaar tag game