Prep 3 hrs
Cook 2 mins
I love Panna Cotta, the traditional Italian eggless custard. It makes a wonderfully light finish to a heavy meal. Occasionally, I depart from the traditional recipe and add a bit of sour cream for a whole new depth of flavor. Fresh fruit is delightful with this dish, though you could serve it with a silky chocolate sauce. Very nice served in heart shaped ramekins! Prep time includes chilling time for the custard. Leftover sauce may be kept in the refrigerator for up to 3 days and served over ice cream, lemon tarts, or ?
- 1 cup cream
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 package unflavored gelatin
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 pint fresh raspberries or 12 ounces frozen raspberries, thawed
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons strained fresh lemon juice
- fresh strawberries or blueberries or raspberries
- Panna Cotta: In a small saucepan, combine cream, sugar and gelatin.
- Heat until gelatin dissolves, stirring constantly as you heat.
- Add sour cream and vanilla.
- Whisk until smooth.
- Pour into indivudual ramekins and chill at least 3 hours.
- Raspberry Sauce: Puree raspberries, sugar, and lemon juice in a blender until smooth.
- Strain mixture through a fine-mesh sieve, pressing firmly with a rubber spatula.
- Taste and adjust sweetness, if necessary, by adding either a bit more sugar or lemon juice.
- Serving Directions: Top each ramekin with a bit of raspberry sauce and a few sliced strawberries, fresh blueberries or raspberries.
Delicious panna cotta - very rich and creamy. The directions are easy to follow, too. We served it with blueberries, and will definitely make again with different fruits/sauces. Thanks so much.
I agree- the sour cream in place of the more traditional milk adds not only a nice "whang" of flavor, but a creamier mouth feel. Whole family loved this. Next time, I might add a bit of lemon zest to the panna cotta and omit it from the sauce. This was awesome0 my family's new favorite.
I absolutely love this panna cotta. It is heavenly. I have made it several times, serving with whatever fruit I have on hand. I have not made the sauce yet, but I think it would be wonderful. I have served this to guests several times with rave reviews. Thank you for a delicious recipe.