Prep 5 hrs
Cook 45 mins
I make mine on one cookie rack placed on a baking sheet but I'm sure that the chicken could still be great placed directly on a foil-lined baking sheet, although I don't think it would be as crispy. Plan ahead the chicken needs to soak in the buttermilk for a minimum of 4 hours or overnight. If you like a lot of heat then use 2 tablespoons of hot pepper sauce, or you can omit the hot pepper sauce completely, but I suggest adding it in, it really brings out the kick in this chicken---- you will *love* this recipe, I know my family does! :)
- 1 1⁄2 cups buttermilk
- 1⁄4 cup oil (can use olive oil)
- 2 tablespoons hot pepper sauce (I use President's Choice Louisiana hot sauce)
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh garlic (or to taste)
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons seasoning salt, divided
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 11 -12 chicken pieces (skin on)
- 2 cups dry breadcrumbs (use only dry breadcrumbs!)
- 2⁄3 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 4 -5 tablespoons melted butter
- In a large bowl (large enough to hold the chicken pieces) whisk the buttermilk, oil, hot pepper sauce, minced garlic, Dijon mustard, 1 teaspoon salt and about 1/2 teaspoon black pepper.
- Add in sliced onion and chicken pieces; turn to coat/mix well.
- Cover and refrigerate for a minimum of 4 hours or up 24 hours, turning occasionally (I marinaded the chicken in the morning and baked it for dinner).
- Place a cookie rack on a foil-lined 15x10-inch baking sheet (I was able to get 11 pieces of chicken on one rack).
- In a bowl mix together dry breadcrumbs, Parmesan cheese, flour, thyme spice, paprika, cayenne pepper, 1-1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt salt and garlic powder.
- Remove the chicken pieces from marinade, allowing any excess marinade to drip off the chicken.
- Dip the chicken pieces into the breadcrumb mixture and turn to coat completely.
- Arrange chicken (skin-side up) on rack or racks on the baking sheets.
- Let chicken stand for 30 minutes, NO more NO less!.
- Set oven to 425°F (bottom oven rack).
- Drizzle the melted butter over the chicken pieces.
- Bake until crisp, golden and cook through About 45 minutes (might take a little longer).
I was very hopeful that this would be yummy, as I adore most of Kittencal's recipes. But.... even though I made this exactly as written, we didn't like it at all. The thyme overpowered everything. We baked it on a rack as directed but the bottom of the chicken was goopy and gross.
Very flavorful and crispy. Great recipe!